Q: Car rattling and smoking

The transmission on the car sometimes does not change gears. Recently, the car started making a rattling sound and began smoking from under the hood of the car.

I recommend inspecting the shifting cable. It is a possibility the shifting cable has failed. I would also recommend inspecting the timing belt. The timing belt could be the cause of the rattling noise. The repair is difficult, I would recommend having a certified mechanic come out, like one from YourMechanic, to diagnose your rattling issue. They can also inspect the smoke coming from your car to see if these issues are separate or closely related.

3. Car rattling and smoking