Strut creaking when on an incline and turning steering wh...

Q: Strut creaking when on an incline and turning steering wheel

asked by on May 25, 2017

I just noticed that there's a creaking coming from what I believe to be the front struts when my car is on an incline and I turn the steering in either direction. Is this sort of noise normal or should I have the dealer check the suspension??

Hello, thank you for writing in. Some noise is normal when struts are stressed out or pushed to limits. However excess noise is an issue, and it should be inspected. With the age of the vehicle taken into consideration, if you have a warranty, you may want to speak to them while it is still active. Shocks this new should be quiet most of the time and under most circumstances. A quick test is called a bounce test. It involves bouncing the fender in that area to engage the shocks. You may also want to check your VIN to see if there have been any recalls or TSB’s out for your vehicle, focusing on the suspension. If the vehicle bounced up and down more than twice the shocks are worn. For more help with testing or replacing the shocks, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.