Q: Using fuel and oil additives in high-mileage vehicles

Questions on fuel and oil additives. What are they and should you use them on the high-mileage vehicles? Is the car addicted to them once you use them?

People have been selling fuel and oil additives for years. If you drive a normal car, you take care of it and use high-quality fuel, and you change your oil a lot, you really don’t need to do anything except that.

But, say you have a junk that burns a lot of oil, or it has gas problems, or not running right because the fuel injectors are clogged, then yes, you can put a good fuel injector cleaner in, and you can put a good oil additive in.

Personally, I like Lucas oil additive. I’ve put it in customers’ cars that would burn three or four quarts of oil, between oil changing, but then I put Lucas in and they only go through maybe three quarters of a quart instead of three quarts and they didn’t have to add any until it was time to change the oil. So, there are times to use it. Cars can’t get addicted to them, but if you’ve got a nice new car that runs good, you are wasting your money throwing it in, because it doesn’t need that stuff right away.

3. Using fuel and oil additives in high-mileage vehicles