Q: Dana35 rear differential pinion bearing is shot and not sure if it can be pulled through the hole for the drive shaft

Took a side impact after which a wobble sound started coming from my rear end. I replaced Right side axle shaft and drum backing plate, shoes, springs and drums, but noise still there. Mechanic said it's the pinion bearing. There has always been a boom from the rear end when I put the car in reverse which corroborates this? So is it likely to be the outer pinion bearing by the driveshaft or the inner one behind the spider gears? Can pinion bearing by driveline be pulled through the axle hole? or would it be necessary to take apart differential and gears either way (inner pinion bearing or outer), because if so I think I'll have to change rear end. Thanks.

A: You have two pinion shaft bearings. The one...

You have two pinion shaft bearings. The one that can be replaced by removing the driveshaft and flange on the rear end. You remove the seal and the bearing can be removed. The bearing race cannot be replaced this way if it is damaged. You have to disassemble the rear end and remove pinion shaft to knock out the race, and then you might as well replace the inner pinion bearing and race. The carrier would need to be removed for access and then you have access to the carrier bearings. The two outer axle bearings and seals should then be replaced, or you could replace the complete rear end. If you would like to have this looked at, an expert technician from YourMechanic can come from your location to give your car a comprehensive inspection and advise you on the correct repair.