Q: Hardness in brake when press on pedal

I have been experiencing a soft pedal and there is a hardness when I apply the brake; plus, the lock brake light is usually on. Yesterday, I installed new reman calipers, rotors, and pads on the front. Bled both of them, gravity and manual style, pump up and hold, then repeated. I did this four or five times and the soft pedal still exists and sometimes a hard pedal and then it did not want to stop. When I removed the old brakes, the driver’s side was not bad, but the passenger side was very pitted and worn, plus there were groves in the rotor. I am not knowledgeable about ABS and anti-lock systems and don’t know how to fix those. Is there a way I can temporarily repair these brakes until I can get another car in a few months?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1989 Buick Reatta. You may have more than one problem going on. Typically, a hard pedal is caused by a problem with the brake booster. If the ABS light is on, the problem could also be the ABS pump or accumulator. A pedal that sinks to the floor usually indicates a problem with the master cylinder, air in the system, or a hydraulic leak. Regardless, not having good brakes is dangerous. I suggest you don’t drive your vehicle until you have it properly diagnosed by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, who can inspect your hard brake pedal and replace the brake booster, master cylinder, or leaking brake fluid.

3. Hardness in brake when press on pedal