Q: Hardness in brake when press on pedal

I have been experiencing a soft pedal and there is a hardness when I apply the brake; plus, the lock brake light is usually on. Yesterday, I installed new reman calipers, rotors, and pads on the front. Bled both of them, gravity and manual style, pump up and hold, then repeated. I did this four or five times and the soft pedal still exists and sometimes a hard pedal and then it did not want to stop. When I removed the old brakes, the driver’s side was not bad, but the passenger side was very pitted and worn, plus there were groves in the rotor. I am not knowledgeable about ABS and anti-lock systems and don’t know how to fix those. Is there a way I can temporarily repair these brakes until I can get another car in a few months?

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1989 Buick Reatta. You may have more than one problem going on. Typically, a hard pedal is caused by a problem with the brake booster. If the ABS light is on, the problem could also be the ABS pump or accumulator. A pedal that sinks to the floor usually indicates a problem with the master cylinder, air in the system, or a hydraulic leak. Regardless, not having good brakes is dangerous. I suggest you don’t drive your vehicle until you have it properly diagnosed by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, who can inspect your hard brake pedal and replace the brake booster, master cylinder, or leaking brake fluid.