Q: Any suggestions for an intermittent starting issue?

asked by on October 23, 2016

This might sound crazy but my car won't start and the only way it will start is if I spray the throttle body with axe body spray sometimes the car will start up fine but most of the time I have to spray the throttle body to get it started

Assuming no air leaks and/or EGR system problems such as a stuck open valve, if your car won’t start without spraying a volatile, flammable substance (starter fluid for example) into the intake, that means there is a problem with the fuel system. The fuel supply system from the pump onward should be looked at. You could have a clogged fuel filter, inadequate fuel pump pressure, faulty pressure regulator, clogged injectors or injectors not functioning. If you would like to have a diagnostic before moving forward with any repairs, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the starting problem and pinpoint the correct fix.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr