Q: How Do Transmission Filters Function?

asked by on November 25, 2015

How do transmission filters function?

A transmission filter is most commonly a thick, flat, paper element that is enclosed inside a plastic housing. The filter housing sits in the bottom of the transmission fluid pan where it is fully submerged in transmission fluid.

The transmission fluid pump, which is integral to the transmission, draws fluid from the pan, through the filter element, where the transmission fluid is then distributed to the torque converter and throughout the rest of the transmission.

The filter prevents particulate matter (wear particles from transmission clutches) from entering the transmission where it would cause accelerated wear. This shortens the life of your transmission, which means your transmission would require an overhaul too soon. Proper filter maintenance helps prevent accelerated wear from occurring.