Q: Replacing just the AC compressor and belt

asked by on August 01, 2017

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima SL. I have been having A/C issues lately, when I turn my A/C on there is normally a loud screeching sound. I believe my A/C compressor is locking up on me. When I made a few calls to mechanics, they are all telling me these additional work that has to be done if I am replacing my compressor. Is it bad for me to only replace the A/C compressor and belt? From doing the math it would save me a lot of $$$$$.

If the compressor is replaced, the only mandatory component to change is the system drier. If the belt is worn or old, it should be replaced. Replacement of any and all other parts is simply subject to a diagnostic and proof (shown to you) of failure. If no diagnostic is performed, or no other part is confirmed to be faulty, then no other part should be replaced, period. The system should be carefully leak tested PRIOR to disassembly in order to be sure that no system o-rings or joints are leaking. If you desire a comprehensive diagnostic and a competitive (probably lower) quote for the a/c system repair, please refer to YourMechanic’s a/c diagnostic service page or use YourMechanic’s A/C compressor replacement service page to get an idea of your cost if you just replaced the compressor and drier/accumulator alone. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.