Q: Car overheating, rust-like residue leaking out

My car has overheating problems. There is a residue coming out of it that has a brownish color, similar to rust. I had it flushed several times. The thermostat has been changed. Also, I had the water pump replaced. What could be the problem?

The engine may have a head gasket leak. The residue you see is from the combustion from the engine getting into the radiator cooling system. A combustion test done on the radiator should be done to see if you have a blown head gasket. If you need help with this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the overheating issue and help you move forward with repairs.

3. Car overheating, rust-like residue leaking out