Q: Steering wheel grinding and vibration - 2011 Land Rover LR4

I have troubles with the steering wheel in my car. When I start the car and begin to turn it, I can hear grinding noises. This usually occurs when I drive at lower speeds. There is also a slight vibration in the steering wheel.This unusual noise seems to be coming from the steering wheel but it lessens as I accelerate and drive. The issue is only intermittent. Should I be concerned? What might be causing this?

Hey there. It is possible that you have a tie rod end that may be wearing out. The steering system is under greater strain when the vehicle is stopped or at low speeds compared to when driving at higher speeds. Chances are the noise will increase in intensity and in more speed ranges as the wear occurs. If it is ignored, in an extreme case you could the ability to steer the vehicle. Anytime there is a steering system issue it is advisable to have it checked immediately and not to wait. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the training and expertise to conduct a thorough inspection of the steering system so this can be correctly repaired.