Q: High idle and car won't stop

asked by on February 01, 2016

My car is idling between 5,000 and 6,000 RPMs, and it won't stop when I press the brake pedal. My airbag light is also on and my fuel gauge is not correct. My car did suffer some water damage in the past.

Hello. This sounds like it may be a faulty Mass Air Flow sensor or a throttle arm that could be stuck. It could also be an air leak. A good way to test for leaks is to spray starting fluid on the gaskets. After you do that, listen for any changes in the RPMs. I suggest having a certified mechanic come out inspect your engine’s high idle and braking issue. I would have these issues addressed immediately because there is serious risk involved when driving with dysfunctional brakes.