Q: Brakes feel hard to press and seems less responsive

We haven't driven this car in several months, but recently we took it for a state inspection and are planning to start using it again for commute to work. However when test driving it the other day, the brakes feel harder to press than I remember, and they also seem less responsive - it feels like the car takes too long to come to a complete stop when I apply the brakes. I'm not sure if it was always like this, and I'm only noticing it now because it's been so long and I got used to driving a different car? And assuming there is a problem, I'm not sure what type of service I would need to request to get it inspected/fixed.

Hello, thank you for writing in. There are 3 main components in the brake system responsible for stopping the vehicle. They include the brake caliper (responsible for gripping the brake disc), the brake disc (connected to the wheels and is what the caliper stops), and the brake fluid (which creates the hydraulic pressure assisting your foot in braking the car). These are the three components you want to inspect. Make sure the brake pad that is inserted into the caliper has enough of the braking material which wears down with use. Secondly, make sure the disc (also known as rotors) are not worn. They have to be measured to make sure they are thick enough, and if they are uneven, they can be machined and evened out. Lastly, check the master cylinder containing the brake fluid and make sure it is full and in good condition. Water and other contaminants can get into the brake fluid and reduce its hydraulic qualities you depend on for stopping. For more help or a brake inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Brakes feel hard to press and seems less responsive