Q: my car is overheating i checked the fans and they dont kick on. only time they go on is when the ac is on

asked by on July 09, 2017

I have a 2009 Chrysler Sebring 2.4l my car was overheating but not all the way i replaced both thermostats and the temperature sensor it was fine for a week or so then continued to overheat i looked at the fans and noticed they are not starting up only when i turn on the ac do the fans kick on

Hello, thank you for writing in. When diagnosing a fan problem like this you must consider that the fans are technically working. They are simply not being switched on when they are supposed to. You may be looking at a coolant or a coolant temperature sensor issue. Since you have replaced the thermostat and the temperature sensor already, you want to focus on their circuit. If the coolant temperature sensor has failed again, it is likely a wiring problem with the circuit causing it to fail prematurely. If all seems well, make sure that the thermostat is working correctly and that the coolant is flowing properly through the system to begin with. For more help with diagnostics, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.