Q: Transmission temperature sensor failure

asked by on November 26, 2016

My engine light came on had it checked gave a transmission temperature sensor failure is it safe to drive until I can afford to get it fixed

The transmission temperature sensor does exactly as it sounds - it regulates the temperature of the transmission. This is an extremely important measurement of the health of your transmission as excessive heat can damage and shorten the lifespan of your transmission very quickly. Excessive heat has a very damaging effect on transmission fluid making it much less effective at doing its job. Transmission fluid provides lubrication, fluid pressure for effective shifting and helps to keep the transmission cool. When the fluid is overheated, this eliminates it’s capabilities. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to diagnose and repair your transmission temperature sensor.