Swishing noise when starting and battery keeps dying 2005...

Q: Swishing noise when starting and battery keeps dying

asked by on June 29, 2017

When I start my car it makes a swishing noise for about the first minute or so, then the noise stops. Recently my battery has also been dead a few times for seemingly no reason. Could the sound and dead battery be connected? Also, took the car to auto zone for a load test and was told my battery and alternator appear to be in fine working order, so I'm not sure why my battery keeps dying.

Hi there. It is possible that a charging wire running from the alternator to the battery that is damaged and needs to be replaced. If the alternator was tested and was good, then it’s possible that you have a stuck electrical relay that is causing what’s known as a parasitic battery drain. This would not explain the noise however, so it might be a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete a car is making a noise inspection to determine what is causing this noise and if it’s related to the battery issue somehow.