Q: Car sputters intermittently when I come to a stop. P0015 code .

this started happening about a week ago. Every once in a while when I would slow down, it felt like the car would sputter, like it the engine was going to shut off. The check engine light came on. I shut off the car, and when i restarted the vehicle everything was normal. Fast forward to today, the same issue happened and now the check engine light stays on. The car seems to idle smoother. The error code was checked as a P0015 code. I have started looking at parts, such as a cam sensor and valve solenoid.

Hello, thanks for writing in. Most of the time this symptom is caused by a low oil level, a clogged oil filter, or possibly the wrong weight oil. If the oil is fine then the issue may be with the variable valve timing solenoid or actuator. In order to know for sure the signal from the cam and crank sensors needs to be checked to see if they are reading incorrectly, which can be a sign of a bad sensor or a failure in the timing chain. I always start with checking the oiling system first. If you’d like, a YourMechanic certified technician can come to your home or place of business in order to perform an engine is sputtering inspection in order to diagnose this issue.