Q: Misfire on cylinder 2

My van has been sputtering and hesitating on acceleration. Code shows a misfire on cylinder 2. I have already changed the spark plug, checked for spark on the plug cable and coil pack, and replaced the fuel injector. Still having the same issues. I am at a loss as to what else could be the culprit of the misfire.

Compression in cylinder No. 2 should be tested. If compression is within spec, a possibility is an oil leak into cylinder no. 2. With regard to the fuel injector, verify its operation as, although the injector may be new, the wiring harness and the control circuit to the injector still need to be verified for proper function. If none of these possibilities yield an explanation, request a misfire diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will move on to the more complex possibilities such as the sensors (cam, crankshaft, etc.) that control ignition timing and the PCM although PCM failure is rare. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Misfire on cylinder 2