Q: The check engine light is on, the car feels as if it will turn off while idling, gas smell

My car has check engine light on. It sometimes feels like the car will turn off when it is at idle. Also, there is a gas smell inside of the vehicle. The gas mileage is bad as well. It goes around 25, depending on whether I drive on the highway or in the city. Could this be an issue with fuel injectors? Is it something else? Thank you.

Hi there. A gas smell such as this is a good indication that there is a fuel leak. If it is entering the vehicle, then it is typically under the hood. Most of the time on this vehicle it comes from a leaking fuel injector or fuel pressure regulator.

I would start by inspecting the injectors visually for any signs of leakage. If none is found, then the regulator should be checked. Being that the Check Engine Light is on, it would also be a good idea to scan for codes to see if it is points to a misfire on one or more cylinders which could tell you where to start. If you plan on having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair these issues.

• The check engine light is on, the car feels as if it will turn off while idling, gas smell