Q: Whistling noise over 40mph, car downshifts hard - 1996 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban

asked by on September 02, 2016

During driving at the speed over 40 mph, I've noticed a whistling noise. It's coming from the passenger's side at the front of the car. At lower speeds, there is no noise. The other problem is with the transmission. During downshifting, when the road is pretty steep, the shifting to lower gears becomes difficult and I can hear the engine start to rev. It often falls out of gear while downshifting. What could be causing this?

The transmission on these vehicles have many different possible problems and it sounds like you have an overrunning clutch bearing that is bad, which is causing it to make noise after 40mph. The problem downshifting may also be due to this. It also could be solenoids sticking from the metal getting in the valves that change the gears. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your transmission, solenoids, and clutch.