Q: Exhaust system is rusty from catalytic converter to muffler?

Hi I have signed a sales and purchase agreement of toyota fielder station wagon car

The main issue which is bothering me is the exhaust system is rusty not very bad but on metal I can see a lot of rust spots from catalytic converter to muffler.

Is it normal please help me.

Thanks Syed Auckland New Zealand

Hello, thank you for writing in. Rust damage to the exhaust system will only increase in severity over time. Where you live, it is likely to happen more quickly then some other geographic locations. Over time the holes will develop and create exhaust leaks. These after the catalytic converter are less extreme than before it. The main side effect is the engine will seem louder if the exhaust does not pass through the muffler. There is also no way of knowing what kind of damage is going on inside of the catalytic converter. Over time if it is rusted inside or becomes damaged, the engine will suffer from a loss of gas mileage, loss of power, and extra strain. You may be okay driving the vehicle for now, but the condition will not improve, and will only worsen. The issue will need to be fixed or resolved eventually. For more help with servicing the vehicle, contact our service department.