Q: Car starts and shuts off

asked by on February 22, 2016

The car was running fine, and then it started to miss. I did a tune up and replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap and rotor, ignition resistor, carburetor, and fuel pump. I checked the dead top center and verified the firing order, and I checked the vacuum hoses all over. The car starts, but it shuts off after running less than a minute. If I give it gas, it stalls and shuts off.

Hello. If the engine only runs for a second and then turns off then that usually means that the engine was not timed right. You will need to remove the distributor and retime it. It can also be a defective distributor. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your stalling issue.