Q: My car is making a loud grinding noise when idle.

asked by on December 11, 2016

It seems like the noise lessens or temporary goes away when I turn off the heat. But when I'm parked and car is on, the floor rattles. When I'm on the road it's gone. My engine light came on . I'm really concerned as I just bought the car. I also know there is a leak problem with the back tire

Hi there. Check the engine and transmission mounts for any looseness or damage. As the vehicle ages, the mounts tend to wear out causing the engine and transmission to vibrate the cab. When the heat is off, the squirrel cage to the heater could be also contributing to a vibration. For the leaking tire, air up the tire and spray the tire with soap and water. The soap water will bubble up when a leak is detected. Keep in mind, if there is a side wall or on the tread by the side wall of a tire leaking, then the tire must be replaced. If you need further assistance with a vibration in your car and a leaking tire, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.