Q: Advice on deciding to buy a car, among BMW, Mazda, Toyota and Toyota hybrid

asked by on May 16, 2016

My father wants a new car. He's choosing between 2.0 L BMW diesel, 2.2 L Mazda 6 diesel and 2.2 L Toyota Van City or Toyota Auris hybrid. I suggested a City Van but Toyota uses BMW engine. Any thoughts?

I’m not a hybrid fan, because they are so complex, and when they break, many cost a fortune to fix. That is the only car Toyota makes that I advise people not to buy. I wouldn’t go for it unless they are going to buy it and get rid of it in 5-6 years. They would generally have no problems then.

But I’m the type of guy who keeps the car for years and years. If you buy, let’s say a 10-year-old Prius, it would cost you a fortune in the next five years. So, I would go for the City Van diesel even though it’s got a BMW engine. BMW makes really good engines. The engines are not a problem with those cars, their cost of maintenance over time is really their major drawback.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr