Q: Is it possible to change autoride air shocks from factory to conventional shock absorbers? 2005 Cadillac Escalade

asked by on December 28, 2016

Hi. I have a 2005 Cadillac Escalade 5.3L AWD. Is it possible to change the factory autoride air shocks to conventional shock absorbers. If so will I get any type of codes from the suspension, and will I lose ride quality. If I have to replace the air shocks with OEM ones, will I have to replace the compressor unit too.? I was thinking on buying belltech 2/3 drop shocks for it. Planning on doing a 2/3 drop to level it out and lose wheel gap. Any help, tips, and ideas would be nice thank you.

Hello - yes, it is possible, and indeed a common modification, to swap out the air ride suspension on this model for conventional suspension. In fact, several auto suspension suppliers make conversion kits to do just this. As you have already discovered, the Cadillac owner forums have a wealth of information from owners who have made this conversion. I would defer to their experiences as to which conversions yield the driving "feel" you are looking for - ride height, ride stiffness, etc. As they say - your mileage will vary. Good luck with your conversion!