Q: Oil sending unit

Is the Oil sending unit the same thing as oil pressure switch? I've been told they are same thing but also have told they are 2 different parts. just a little confused.. On my 2000 taurus, the oil light flickers after parking or while idling. I dont see it come on while driving. Was told that was oil sending unit problem. But others said need to change oil pressure switch. So are those same or 2 different parts and which one would I need

A: Hey there. The two parts are different in t...

Hey there. The two parts are different in their operation but performs the same function. The oil pressure sender is a variable resistor sensor that will increase and decrease resistance as the oil pressure goes up and down. This sensor will control a gauge to go up and down with the pressure. The oil pressure switch will be a closed or open circuit. The switch depending on calibration will close a circuit turning on the oil light on the dash when the oil pressure gets below a set amount or causing a gauge to go to a set reading when you have pressure and drop to nothing if it falls below set limit.

You may have one or the other type part on your engine but will not have both on your vehicle. You will need to have the oil pressure checked with a mechanical gauge to verify the pressures are within specifications and the replace the oil pressure sender or switch as necessary.