Q: Problem with acceleration.

Smoke coming from behind the steering wheel when turning on car, as well as when turning on the wipers.

This could be a couple of different issues and would need a qualified mechanic to drive the vehicle to see if it is your transmission or engine causing the acceleration problem. The transmissions in these cars were known to have internal problems of slipping and the engine is known to have issues of ignition coils causing miss fires. The mechanic would know right away if it was the transmission since the engine would rev but the car would not move. If the car moves but jerks and bucks then the ignition would be the cause. Depending on the drive symptoms you have would determine a corrective action. If a transmission problem then the transmission would need further diagnosis and a possible overhaul or replacement would be needed. If an ignition misfire is symptom then a scan of the computer would point to the problem cylinder for further diagnosis of a failed coil, plug or internal engine issue. The most likley cause is a failed ignition coil and spark plug.