Q: Will a 2.4 ecotec motor in 2008 malibu fit or hook up in a 2005 malibu it has 2.2 ecotec motor

asked by on March 05, 2017

I'm trying to find a motor for my daughters car. It had a 2.2 ecotec motor and I found a 2.4 in 2008 Malibu Lt. My daughters is a 2005 Malibu with the 2.2 . Will it hook up with out any modifications.

Hello there. In short, the engine blocks for these two engines is nearly identical, so you wouldn’t have motor mount fitting issues most likely. However, you are very likely to have electronics, fuel system and driveline connectivity issues. This is why it’s always recommended to replace a damaged motor with one from the same year, make and model. Unfortunately, it’s not a service we offer, so you might want to consult with a local engine replacement shop.