Q: Clear coat wearing away right before my eyes

I am pretty disappointed with the clear coat that was supposed to protect the paint on my 2006 Toyota Tundra. Now the roof is faded and looks ugly and the hood is in pretty bad shape as well. This truck is low in miles for it age, at only 49,000, but it looks old and dead because of the paint. Will anything on the market now help or is it something I have to get re-painted?

Nothing will beat a good paint job. The condition of your paint is caused by oxidation. Depending on how severely damaged your paint is, there are some things worth trying. My first recommendation is to take it to a good detailer. This kind of thing is all they do. Although it is unlikely to result in a like-new look, it will undoubtedly greatly improve your paint’s appearance. If you don’t mind some hard arm workout activity, you can give your truck waxing job yourself. Products from companies like Meguiar’s and 3M have great solutions to problems like yours. Look at their websites and find the best products suited to your paint’s condition.

3. Clear coat wearing away right before my eyes