Q: Car won't start, but it still has stereo on

asked by on September 26, 2016

car won't start....but the car stereo is on. what's wrong.

Hello. If the stereo is on then the vehicle should have some power but the battery should still be load tested. It is common for the battery to have just enough power to provide some power but not enough to crank the engine.

If the battery is fine then the voltage at the starter needs to be checked. It should get power at the small wire when trying to crank it. If there is power then the starter is bad. If not then the circuit needs to be checked to see if the starter relay or the ignition switch is bad. It can even be a faulty transmission position sensor.

If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home and diagnose your starting issue firsthand for an accurate repair.