Q: Hello, I have a 2006 mazdaspeed 6 with 100,000 miles and a "blown third piston" is it worth fixing?

I have a CAI that sucks up water. Drove about 2 hours on the highway in a major storm and my car was bucking like crazy. I never noticed a major loss of power, very minimal. I did notice I was burning oil like crazy, about a quart and a half a week and had white smoke from the tailpipe that smelled odd. Took it to the shop and was told I had a blown 3rd piston. That's all I was told. Estimated a $5,000 fix. Should I get it fixed, swap engines, or just cut my losses?

It’s too bad that it failed this early in the game, but I don’t think there’s any future in fixing it. Just remember that an engine is only one of many very expensive parts on a car and once you’ve changed the engine, you will still be spending money on other major repairs as time goes by and the mileage racks up. In a way you can count yourself lucky. Many people go through a series of one or two thousand dollar repairs on an older car before they start to think of moving on. My guess is you haven’t spent any big money on this car yet. Some people like to use the formula comparing repair costs to car payments, and that has some merit, but one thing to keep in mind is that with car payments, at least you know how much it is going to be and when it will come so you can plan for it. Car repairs are not that predictable. If you decide to look at some used cars in the future, schedule a pre-purchase inspection with Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to the location of the car to check it out for you and make sure you’re not about to buy someone else’s problem.

3. Hello, I have a 2006 mazdaspeed 6 with 100,000 miles and a "blown third piston" is it worth fixing?