Q: Transmission slipping while driving

The transmission of my car seems to be slipping between first and second gear while I am driving on city streets. When driving on the expressway, the car runs fine.

The transmission in your Pontiac uses solenoids to control the shifting from one gear to the next. Typically there is a solenoid for 1st and 2nd gear, a second solenoid for 3rd and 4th gear and a 3rd and 4th solenoid for overdrive and reverse. The symptoms you describe lead me to believe you are experiencing a faulty shift solenoid. To be 100% certain, I would recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic to come by and inspect your Pontiac. They will have the experience and tools needed to quickly determine the problem with your transmission. They will also be able to make the repairs needed to keep your transmission shifting smooth in every gear.

3. Transmission slipping while driving