Q: Can a bad ignition coil cause a p0335 and a p0340

asked by on August 24, 2017

Can a bad ignition coil cause a p0335 and a p0340 Because I've replaced the timing belt, and both sensors and both surpitine belts, but my car still won't start but it does crank. Also there is no short in the wiring. I just haven't tested the ignition coil because I don't know how to test it other than replacing it. Also replaced spark plugs and wires.

If you request a no start diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will identify the root cause of the no start and get this resolved for you promptly. The two codes that you note do not normally implicate the ignition coil(s) but, in any event, a coil can be directly tested by a mechanic to rule it in or out as a cause of a no start condition. Some of the common causes of Diagnostic Trouble Code P0340 include camshaft position sensor circuit wiring that is broken, shorted, or corroded; a camshaft position sensor circuit connector that is broken, shorted, or corroded; a faulty camshaft position sensor; a failed crankshaft position sensor; and a faulty PCM (rare). You should also check to be sure that the timing belt is intact and the valve timing is correct, if not faults there will cause P0340 to set as well. The other code, namely P0335, has a variety of potential causes as well, such as an open or short in the wiring harness, poor electrical connections, crankshaft position sensor failure, a damaged signal plate, a broken timing belt or chain, and PCM failure (again, rare). If you request the no start diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.