Q: Clutch won't go into gear

My clutch was hard to get into first gear. Now it won't go into any gear.

A: Having difficulty moving into first gear an...

Having difficulty moving into first gear and then being unable to move your Subaru into any other gear leads me to believe that there are problems with one or more components in the clutch system. While the information you offered is a bit limited, considering the age of your Subaru, it is likely you are experiencing a worn out clutch disc. When the clutch disc starts to wear out, it becomes more difficult to shift the vehicle into gear. If it is indeed time to replace your clutch, it is best to enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic to properly diagnose your Subaru’s gear problem just to be certain that it is the clutch disc that is the culprit and not one of the hydraulic components that assist in engaging the clutch, such as the clutch master or slave cylinder.