Q: SUV jerks while driving, braking, and accelerating

It seems like my car is always having problems, ever since buying it. A tune up was performed recently and some things fixed, but since then my SUV still jerks while driving. It jerks a little when I start driving and also as I’m driving and brake and accelerate - jerks all those times. I changed the transmission fluid - no help. Lately, I’ve noticed that when accelerating to 30 mph, it will go down to around 25 mph and then back to 30 mph by itself. The same scenario happens at 50 mph. Sometimes I smell a burning odor while driving, but it’s random. Sometimes it goes away. It seems like it’s outside. Also, when my gas gets low, the check engine light comes on. What will solve all these problems?

You may have an issue with your catalytic converter not allowing the flow of exhaust that is necessary to maintain a good running engine. If you had a tune up done recently then your ignition system should be working properly. If your catalytic converter is clogged, this will force exhaust gases back into the engine and therefore will ’choke’ the engine or prevent it from breathing properly.

I would recommend having your catalytic converter checked out by a certified mechanic to determine whether or not it is clogged. If the catalytic converter is clogged, I would recommend having it replaced, as it will likely resolve the jerking issues you are experiencing while driving. If you feel like you need help with this, get some assistance from a professional mechanic who can diagnose your cars jerking symptoms and make the necessary repairs afterwards.

3. SUV jerks while driving, braking, and accelerating