Q: Front Tires getting hot & theres a burnt smell

asked by on August 28, 2016

I noticed approx. 2 months ago when I would brake there was a squealing sound & it would continue to squeal after the brake was released. Had break pads replaced by a friend & was informed that the caliper might be bad. After driving to & from work there was a burning smell coming from the driver front tire & it started smoking. So thinking it was the caliper we replaced it. After driving for about 20 mins, I noticed the smell again & the same tire was extremely hot. Decided to also checked the passenger front tire & it to was hot & smelled. When I researched it a little further somebody was saying wheel bearings or the master cylinder? What do you think? Any advice or tips is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Hello. Most of the time if you have a caliper or two that are hanging up it is because of a bad master cylinder. The seals in the master cylinder bind and keep the master cylinder from releasing. Most of the time, replacing the master cylinder and flushing out the brake fluid will take care of it. In some cases, there is petroleum contamination which causes the seals to swell, which will cause all of the rubber components in the braking system to need replacement. If you want to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the brake system and have this addressed appropriately.