Q: AC clutch fan relationship

asked by on August 19, 2016

AC compressor clutch went out... Bought whole new compressor with clutch just in case compressor was bad.. Car starts and runs fine with AC off... The fan would work for about 3days. Now the fan won't even go at all. Are they related? Could it be a fuse. Or another problem altogether? Thank you. Also is it imperative to vacuum system before charging? All freon evacuated when clutch failed.

The fan is kinda related, in that it is needed and commanded by the AC system to help cool the hot condenser. Its electrical circuit is separate from the AC electrical circuits.

Definitely check the fuses first, then check for voltage at the fan to determine if it’s a bad fan, or if it’s not getting power. It is strongly suggested to pull a vacuum on the AC system before charging. This helps remove moisture that can freeze and plug the system and also removes air that will not contribute to the cooling effect at all. The more air in the system, the less refrigerant you can put in there, and the warmer the AC will feel.