Q: Car will not start and the Check Engine light is on.

The Check Engine light is on. The car will turn over, but not start.

There are some common problems that I have come across with older Hondas that may be leading to the issue with the car turning over but not starting. First I would suspect that the main relay has developed bad connections, in turn preventing the fuel pump from turning on.

That leads us to another common culprit in older Hondas, the fuel pump itself failing. I have also seen the igniter and/or the coil inside the distributor fail, which results in no spark being sent to the spark plugs, not allowing the engine to start. Finally, a broken timing belt is what I would suspect in a Honda Civic of this age. Without more information, it would be difficult to diagnose exactly what is behind your Honda not starting. Enlisting the help of a certified mechanic with proper knowledge and tools to inspect the check engine light will allow you to quickly identify your Honda’s problem, getting you back on the road safely.

3. Car will not start and the Check Engine light is on.