Q: Car will only drive in reverse or 2nd and 1st

asked by on November 12, 2016

Started today I came to a stop light light turned green car was in drive and it would not move it rev all the way up no movement I put it down to 2nd it slipps a little the drives I get to a decent rpm move it up to Drive it goes fine soon as I come to a stop it does the same thing over again

This may be a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically determine the cause for this.