How to fix? - loud vibrations, rough start, horrible mpg,...

Q: How to fix? - loud vibrations, rough start, horrible mpg, smells of gas, codes P0420, PO300, PO411, P0016, P2279,allcylndrsmsfr

asked by on August 02, 2017

I've noticed that my 2005.5 vw Jetta 2.5 is starting very rough and loud, it vibrates and shakes in idle and it's very hard to accelerate. The car seems to have to work very hard to accelerate and it takes a long time to respond- i.e. when I put my foot all the way down on the pedal nothing happens for a while, then it gradually starts to accelerate. The mpg is awful and I imagine the emissions are too. I really would like a fix, hopefully it's not too expensive !!:)) It's giving out codes P0303, P0016, P2279, P0420, P0411, P0300, P0302, P0304, P0305, P0301, P0303, P0016, P0420, P0300, P0302, P0304, P0305, P0301

The most important code here is the P0016. This code is telling you that the camshaft and the crankshaft are out of time and that could explain the misfires and the poor performance. The catalyst and the air injection codes may be a separate issue. It would be best if you don’t try to use the car or even run the engine until you have this thing checked out. The VW engines that are equipped with a timing belt can suffer a great deal of damage if the timing belt jumps while the engine is running and that may be about to happen if it hasn’t already. You can have this done at your convenience by contacting Your Mechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to check out your Jetta and let you know what can be done about it.