Q: Check engine light is on with code P0440. Also the car makes noise

asked by on October 12, 2016

Check engine light is on with code P0440 and the car makes noise. What should be done to fix it?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there, thanks for writing in. This code is for a leak or failure in the evap emissions system. By far the most common cause of this is a bad gas cap. If the seal on the cap is bad then this will occur. It can also be caused by a leak in any number of the parts contained in the system I usually will do a smoke test of the evap system to identify any leaks or any valves that are not closing. Those would need to be repaired and the system reset to fix this. The cost will really depend on what is wrong with the vehicle. If you would like help having this P0440 code repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the check engine light for you and repair this.