Q: My car broke down and won't move.

asked by on December 02, 2016

i have an 06 mitsubishi galant. automatic transmission. i was at a stop sign and i tried to accelerate and it made a weird noise then wouldn't go. the car will rev in low 2 3 reverse and drive, but will not go. when i put it into park it makes several loud clinks. i have had no problems until just now. i am highly stressed because this is my first car please help

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. There are several things that could cause your vehicle to not move, however, with the loud clinking noise the transmission has something that broke in it. Is seems that either a bearing inside the transmission failed and has locked up the transmission or the torque converter has cause the pump shaft to fail. If a pump shaft breaks, it will clink around and not make any pressure to the transmission. With the engine running in in gear, see if the vehicle can be moved easy like you have the transmission in neutral and the engine off. If the transmission does move like this, then the pump has stopped working. If you need further assistance with your vehicle making a noise when in gear and the vehicle not moving, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr