Q: Motor not starting

asked by on March 24, 2016

I did a motor swap, and now it cranks but won't start.

If your Ford 150 will not crank, there can be a a few different reasons that could cause this result. Diagnosing the same problem on a newly swapped engine can add additional possible reasons due to additional variables, such as if the engine was used, and whether it ran before it was purchased.

Assuming the newer engine is known to be good and everything is connected correctly, then you would start with the basics; checking for fuel and spark. If fuel and spark are both present, then there is always the possibility that the 150’s distributor was installed 180 degrees off, which would also prevent the engine from starting.

If you aren’t comfortable checking for fuel, spark and distributor timing, it is best to enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanc who can perform these tests , determine why your car is not starting, and get you back on the road safely.