Q: Rack and pinion has a leak

Rack and pinion has a leak, and it makes my steering stiff. The car is also making a loud noise.

A visual inspection of the power steering system is required. Concerning a BMW, it is slightly more labor intensive because all the power steering components are on the underside of the vehicle which requires lifting and removing the shields underneath. You may have more than one leak. Additionally, the squealing noise may or may not be related to losing power steering fluid. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic can assist you in diagnosis and repair.