Q: I sent my 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander to a Dealership and got an estimate of over $600 to replace the key cylinder.

When I turn the key, sometimes nothing happens. If I force the key, it turns over.

A: This can happen when the key itself gets wo...

This can happen when the key itself gets worn out making the switch inside inoperable to that particular key. This can also happen when the inside cylinder parts begin to wear out or become inoperable for the same reason. As you insert the key and turn it, there are contacts inside that are activated when the key is turned. When the key cylinder becomes worn out, these contacts can also begin to wear out making them sometimes very tough to engage.

If you don’t want to go the dealer route, I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your starting issue and service your ignition switch if necessary.