Q: Noise after oil change

This occurred after an oil and filter change and has never happened before. As I finished up adding 4qts of 5w/30 Pennzoil this afternoon and checked the stick after wards it was where it should be, so I started the car and it was idling fine except that there was a loud tapping noise that sounded like it was in the upper engine area valve or plenum area that was consistent with the engine running. I turned off the car and waited and rechecked my work. Everything was good, oil level was fine so I started it again but it was as before. This engine is a remanufactured Jasper long block so I don't see how this could happen so soon unless this Jasper is junk as I haven't had any problems up until now. I drained the engine oil and removed the filter this morning and left but came back about 8hrs later to refill and filter it up! Thank you for your time.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to ...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to offer my insight.

It seems that the oil pump lost its prime when it drained for 8 hours with the oil filter off. I recommend removing the oil filter and filling it as much as possible before putting it back on. The engine takes 5 quarts to fully fill it. Then, let engine run for a couple of minutes to get air out of the oil pump. If the problem continues, then the oil pump may have been damaged and needs replacing.

If you would like help to confirm why the noise is happening, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.