Q: Car won't start - 2004 Ford Focus

asked by on November 01, 2016

my 2004 ford focus wont start it runs great but for the last few weeks sometimes it will start and sometimes it wont one time when it wouldn't start we took the battery cables off and the neg. was very corroded we cleaned it off and it started, yesterday I was in town and it wouldn't start we tried jumping it off. Didn't work but it did start when we let it roll back and clutch started it all had no problem got home turn it off and turned off and wont start when u turn the key over all the dash lights come on but nothing under the hood comes on please help

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Check the battery cables for more corrosion and clean them up again. You may need to put backing soda and water mixture on the terminals to clean the corrosion completely off. Make sure that the cables are tight and also tight on the starter solenoid. By rocking the vehicle back and forth and using the clutch to start the vehicle, this is an indication that the cable on the starter is either corroded or loose. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your starting system, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose and resolve the issue.