Q: Will it damage my Honda Civic Hybrid 2005 engine to drive it with a bad lifter? 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid

asked by on March 13, 2017

The car runs fine and gets about 40 mpg with no A/C running. It taps on cold acceleration, but the tapping usually goes away when it warms up. The engine is a rebuilt replacement that had about 90K miles on it when I got it about 18 mos. ago. I do local and highway driving to go to work. Will I damage the engine if I don't have it fixed?

Hi there - no, a tapping valve lifter won’t cause direct damage per se, but will run less efficiently (on that cylinder) while clearance is excessive and tapping occurs. Since the lifters are adjustable, you would certainly want to have the lifters adjusted to proper clearance at any point the valve cover leaks, and needs the gasket replaced, or if any engine misfire is detected. I recommend a valve adjustment service performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and perform this service - which includes a new valve cover gasket.