Q: power steering belt, power steering wheel

asked by on February 01, 2016

I think my power steering belt broke because it's hard to turn my steering wheel.

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, One of the pleasures of driving a newer car is the comfortable steering. When it suddenly becomes too difficult to turn your wheel, that can be an alarming feeling! There are a few different possibilities as to why your BMW is hard to turn and a broken belt is certainly one of them. However, because there is only one belt that runs all of your accessories, namely the alternator and the air conditioner, if the belt had broken, your BMW would have stopped running very shortly after due to the alternator not charging. I do not believe this to be the case, since the only concern stated was a problem with the steering. Therefore, it is likely to be an issue found with either the BMW’s power steering pump or the rack & pinion steering gear itself. These are both concerns that need to be brought to a friendly certified mechanic for proper inspection and diagnosis of your issues .