Q: My car wont start. I try to start it and it does nothing. The starter has been replaced.

asked by on November 07, 2016

my car wont start. when i try to start it nothing happens. the dash lights and radio work. and when i try to start it the locks lock and unlock thereselves.

Hi there. It sounds like a possible fuse/relay, battery, or wire harness fault. Check all fuses/relays and replace as necessary. Perform a test on the battery with a digital battery tester that provides cold cranking amps and state of health. Check the battery terminals for corrosion and looseness. Perform a voltage drop test on the power wire to the battery with a digital volt/ohm meter to determine if there is excessive resistance. If all of these check ok, then the starter or ignition switch could be at fault; even a new starter could be faulty. I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician to perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car does not start inspection at your own location.