Q: Car stalls, hesitates, misfires - 1998 Oldsmobile Delta 88

I have an intermittent problems with my car stalling and hesitating. It backfires ocassionally as well. However, I've noticed these issues are occurring with an increasing frequency. I had the codes read and the lean code came up along with the misfire code. Due to the lean code, I had the fuel pressure checked. One time I got 17 PSI. I had the fuel filter replaced. It didn't solve the issues. This continued to happen even when I had the fuel regulator replaced. I had the fuel pump replaced also. However, the car kept hesitating and misfiring. What should I do to fix this?

There are several potential problem areas (besides fuel supply which you seem to have addressed), which could cause lean running and the symptoms you describe. A dirty throttle body, failing mass air flow sensor, vacuum leak, or bad oxygen sensor could cause this problem. First check for problem codes stored in the engine management which might indicate the component area to investigate next. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling and misfiring problems and determine what is needed to get the car back on the road.

3. Car stalls, hesitates, misfires - 1998 Oldsmobile Delta 88